After a successful career being other people, and later teaching others the many tricks of that trade, Maer Wilson has decided to be herself for a while. Turns out she’s a writer. She’s always loved stories, especially fantasy, mystery and sci fi. Maer was born in the Year of the Dragon and has a dragon-themed room in her home, but sadly no dragons in the back yard. When she’s not writing, Maer plays online video games, teaches college and reads. Maer is a partner in Ellysian Press, a small publishing house. She also co-hosts the literary podcast MythBehaving. Maer lives in the high desert of Southern Nevada with her three dogs, a chihuahua and two poodles.
Her books include Apocalypta Z and Relics,Portals, and Magics in the Modern Magics series. There are four prequel novelettes in the series – “Ghost Memory,” “Unwanted Ghost,” “Ghost Dancer” and “Wedding Ghost.” A recently released box set includes all the novelettes plus a new story, “Lost Ghost.” You can find all Maer’s books and novelettes at Amazon and other online retailers.
2. How did you get started blogging?
3. How did you pick the name for your blog?
Well, it’s really rather plain – just my name – although the interview section does have In the Spotlight.
4. If you could go back in time and tell your newbie blogger self 1 thing what would it be?
I wasn’t sure what to do with my blog at first…so I didn’t do a lot. It was only when I was offered a contract on my first book that I got the idea of inviting my author friends to share behind-the scenes interviews.
5. What have you learned in your 5 years of blogging?
I have learned so much! I’ve gone through so many changes and so has the website! Most of all I try to keep the content fresh and interesting.
6. What was the first ARC or book you ever received from a publisher?
I don’t do reviews here on the site, except for books I choose to read, so I’ve never received an ARC for that purpose. I have received books from other authors to review at Amazon and Goodreads, but I don’t recall which was the very first one.
7. When you’re not reading or blogging, what can we find you doing?
I play MMOs (Massively Multi-player Online games). For the last 4 years I’ve played Star Wars: The Old Republic. I also love movies, and TV has some pretty good offerings that I’m quite frankly addicted to.
Five Favorite Books
1. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
2. A Feast for Crows
3. Swan Song
5. The Stand
Five Favorite Book Boyfriends
I don’t usually get into book boyfriends, but if I go back in time, I think I can find a few. 🙂
1. Rhett Butler – Gone with the Wind
2. Heathcliff – Wuthering Heights
3. Mr. Darcy – Pride and Prejudice
4. Aragorn – The Fellowship of the Ring
5. Legolas – The Fellowship of the Ring
Five Favorite Book Quotes
1. “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
2. “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre
3. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” J.K Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
4. “The world changes, we do not, therein lies the irony that kills us.” Anne Rice, Interview with the Vampire
5. “Until you’ve lost your reputation, you never realize what a burden it was or what freedom really is.” Margaret Mitchell, Gone with the Wind
Five Blogging Tips For New Bloggers
1. Have something to say and say it well.
2. Proofread your posts and correct spelling, grammar and any other errors.
3. Be honest.
4. Be kind.
5. Be creative.
Five Blogs You Want The World To Know About